Review: Maya's New Husband

Maya's New Husband Maya's New Husband by Neil D'Silva
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read and finished this book in a day. But I wished I had waited to read it. That's because currently, my pet dog has a terrible skin condition, the sky is dismal and dark and it has been raining for a couple of days and my maid just infirmed me that a dead body washed up by the shore at a beach close to my residence. There is enough in the world, already to be mortified about and then there's this book. It's just added an extra layer of 'dismal' to my mood. Then why the four stars?

I normally associate horror fiction with ghosts lurking in the cupboard and beds moving around in the middle of the night and that sort of imaginary stuff. So when I picked up this book, I fully expected to read it with my eyes closed, as I normally do, when I am encountered with a stray horror movie on the TV screen. But this book is not that sort of horror. This has nothing to do with those things we cannot see or comprehend. It is about the ghosts that lie deep within us. Monsters who walk around us, live and eat and breathe with is, in the garb of human beings. And the possibility that this can happen to any of us, that is the most horrific feeling of all.

To begin with, if you are a fan of crime and gore and shows like Criminal Minds and Dexter, and movies like the 'chainsaw massacre' series are your thing, this book may suit your 'palate'. Pardon the obvious pun. You'll know what I am talking about when you read the book.

The book had me hooked from the first page. It's quick and fast paced, breezy reading. Though, I skipped a lot of paragraphs simply because some parts were too gory for my taste. Honestly, there's no suspense in this book. From the start you know what is going to happen and you just have to go along with this journey till it meets it's logical end, which is also quite predictable. So don't expect a literary masterpiece, this one. But yes, with its simple and lucid language, and a breezy pace, the book makes for a quick and easy read. The writer has very effectively brought the scenes to life with his narrative.

I don't recommed that you read it on a plane or train ride. Choose a nice sunny day, when everything seems perfect. So when you are finished with this book, you can get back to the rainbows and ribbons, happy sunshine and chirping birds (alive) outside your bedroom window and not feel so dismal after all.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to combat swimming pool chlorine

She may wear shorts...so does that make her a slut?

Review: Origin